Thursday, January 17, 2008

Poem Review: Rented Space

Immediately following the writing of “the monkey wrench” I found myself pondering why things had happen in my life, why they were still happening and how long they would continue to go on. Day in, day out my mind was occupied with these thoughts. I started to obsess over them to the point that my daily actions and feelings were being severely impacted and affected.

these unwelcome guests who have arrived
turning my life upside down


Soon came the resentments that just would not go away. I realized that these thoughts, feelings and especially resentments had “ rented space ” in my head.

they move in uninvited
when will they go away


I had to address these issues if I was to find serenity and peace.I was told that having a resentment was like drinking poison and hoping for the other person to die. Thru acceptance and willingness I was able to come to terms, make an amends of sorts, discard these resentments and then move on with my life. The expression is:

keeping my side of the street clean

Here is my poem:

Rented Space

They move in uninvited,
when will they go away?

Change the locks, shut off the power,
it seems their here to stay.

Taking up space, making noise is all they seem to do.
Bothering daily, morning, noon and night, anger reactions just won’t subdue.

These unwelcome guests who have arrived
turning my life upside down.

Wasted energy, pondering constantly
to move them out of town.

Trying to ignore this infestation
is like a redundant hymn.

They are a weed and must be cut
at the base of the stem.

Rented space by the wrong guests
always causes trouble.

I think I’ll call a wrecking crew
and turn the place to rubble.

Copyright © 2007 Ronald J. Edwards


No comments: