Sunday, February 22, 2009

Just One

I never ever not even once went out to have just one.
Enough said ...

Here is my poem:

Just one

The phone rings Friday afternoon
just round quitting time.

Pete says that Kipling’s serving
cold Corona’s with a lime.

At first I think
that I could go
and have only just one.

If I don’t go
I will miss out
on having all that fun.

“Common” he says
“we’ll have just one,
next day we have to work”.

I always went
and did ignore
a severe knee-jerk.

My elbow is so special
bending exactly
as I want.

To raise the glass
a thousand times
to this idiot savant.

Problem isn’t drinking,
this I sure can do.

My suicides in stopping,
the craving does ensue.

So I laugh each time I hear
“Lets go out and have just one”.

I’d have more luck
with a shot
that comes from my handgun.

Copyright © 2008 Ronald J. Edwards

No comments: