Sunday, February 22, 2009

You don't know Jack

Back in my peaceful town of Sayville, I met a girl who thought she knew Jack. This is her story, Cheryl you don't know Jack.

Here is my poem:

You don’t know Jack

While strolling the hills of Scotland
with my old friend Johnnie Walker.
Was hard to get a word edge wise
cause Johnnie’s such a talker.

Someone arose mid conversation
I asked, “Do you know Jack”?
He shook his head and told me
to Canada I should go back.

The Canadian Club I did return
to find another caulker.
Though no relation to my friend Johnnie
his name was Hiram Walker.

Again I did address
explaining info I did lack.
“My friend Hiram, might you help me out?
Please tell me, do you know Jack “?

“Go east young man to New York,
a town called Sayville West.
There lives a girl who claims
that she knows Jack the best.

Girl’s name is Cheryl,
blonde and cute,
hung with him in her youth.

I heard it said
she tells the tales
though sometimes long in tooth.

Glory days, in bars round town
on stools or shooting pool.
The both of them were very close
she often played the fool.

Their paths did split,
to much of him,
she never did look back.

But I bet
you seek him out
you’ll find that one called Jack.”

Copyright © 2007 Ronald J. Edwards

No comments: