Sunday, February 22, 2009

They took the wrong finger

Being sober is a life or death situation for men like me. Time and time again I read about the passing of those who thru their use and abuse of alcohol die from disease. Some meet their end while driving or at the hands of another drunk driver. This poem is about the loss of life by his own hands.Nine fingers Gary found that life was just not worth living and while under the influence ended it all.
May you rest in peace Gary.

Here is my poem:

They took the wrong finger

Early that morning
with the sound of the waves
he sat in his car all alone.

The black hole returned,
swallowed him whol,e
turning his future to stone.

Nine fingers he had,
they all worked just fine,
that night he needed just one.

If only the doctor
knew what was to happen
he’d of cut off the one used for a gun.

Gary found that place
deep in his head
the reality all of us dread.

Darkness and pain
are lord of this realm
those who enter all end up dead.

Rest in peace my friend
may God forgive
what you’ve done on Valentines Day.

I hope and I pray
that I never take
that same path to end up that way…

Copyright © 2008 Ronald J. Edwards

No comments: