Sunday, February 22, 2009

Last Chance Hotel

In a cold winter January I found myself at my lowest bottom. I was helpless,hopeless and homeless sleeping in the back of my truck spiritually and physically bankrupt. If not for Lenny I would still be there if not and most likely dead. I wrote this poem shortly afterward to make sure I never forget where I can end up again.

Here is my life saving poem:

Last Chance Hotel

Sleeping in my car
temperatures so cold.
No money in my pockets,
everything was sold.

Nowhere left to rest my head,
doors once open now are shut.
Under a bridge, out in the woods
or make a cardboard hut.

The cold cruel world
is all that’s left,
averted eyes don’t look at me.

They just walk by
turning their heads,
pretending not to see.

Street life is unforgiving,
hard gutters will demean.
Memories don’t help here,
or places where I've been.

Thank God for those two fellows,
Bill W. and Doctor Bob.
Cause it was in their actions,
that I no longer have to sob.

The rooms where soon provided
for people living in this hell.
The price to enter everything,
at the last chance hotel.

Copyright © 2007 Ronald J. Edwards

No comments: